Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Toilet Training

Had a very interesting experience with Fig the other day in regards to potty training.

As I have written, she sits on my lap for extended periods, never going to the bathroom on me, but if she sits on my shoulder she will. Likewise she never goes to the bathroom if I wrap her up in my jacket, or carry her around like a baby, or otherwise constrain her in the way Parrots might more usually be handled, which surprisingly she really enjoys too. I had no idea Crows were cuddly until one came into our lives, either.

Undoubtedly, she won't poop because the closeness creates hightened awareness of my presence, but it also puts her in a physical position in which she would not naturally, usually be when relieving herself, standing up, or close to another being. The third thing, is that she feels safest when I hold her closely, and she likes being held in a warm embrace which reminds her of her mother warmly nestling on her in the nest, so maybe she does not want to ruin the vibe?

Conversely, she poops when she feels insecure, worried, afraid, or vulnerable. One might think that my shoulder would be just the spot to feel safest, and slowly, it is getting to be, but not quite yet. Fig still thinks the cat can jump up on my shoulder. She still feels a little uneasy having more freedom all around the house, too, hence the hazards of letting her perch on my shoulder. But, I carry on letting her perch on me for longer and longer, and she is slowly requesting to sit on me more and more, for longer and longer, and getting better and better at notifying me when she needs to go to the bathroom. But, we are still ironing out the pooping issue somewhat.

She has made it very clear to me that she prefers to poop from her perch rather than using the toilet. This is something we are going to need to talk more about as the idea is eventually to get rid of her "room" entirely, so she would no longer have the perch she prefers for toileting. I have to find someway to make the bathroom a more favorable option.

As I was saying, something interesting happened the other day though. As usual, I was sitting with Fig in my lap. She decided she wanted to venture up on my shoulder. She is quite clear about communicating things like where she would like to be. Really? I complained. She was unusually insistent about it. Okay, I said but don't poop. She does understand the word poop. She will poop on command. In fact, she is so used to this, she usually will not agree to handling until after she has pooped first, as she knows this makes me very happy, and like a real kid, she aims to get praise from her parent.

Now, what happened next is very hard to explain, because I cannot put it into words, so you will have to take me word for it. Fig told me, I promise not to poop. Her communication consists of gutteral errs and gurgles, and gestures, so I can't transpose exactly what she "said", but I could tell she was saying, "I understand, and I promise to be a good girl, if you let me sit up on your shoulder." So, I let her sit up there for a couple of hours, making bathroom breaks when she indicated, and everything went smoothly. Amazing! That has rarely happened before, that we had such a moment of complete understanding, and compliance with my wishes, when she is up on my shoulder. It was a magical, breakthrough moment, sort of like those moments one has with one's children, only way more Dr. Doolittle-esque. Recently, my son, all of his own accord, folded all of his dirty clothes, before taking a shower, and placed them on the washing machine. Crazy, right! It was like this. Kids sometimes, magically, when you are not expecting it, develop and exhibit earth shattering initiative after years and years of constant nagging, just when you've about given up hope. Crows too!

Of course, the very next day, my son's clothes were back, scattered all over the floor of the house. And Fig pooped on me again, apparently forgetting all the success, and progress she'd made the day before. Fortunately, I know it takes time. We'll keep at it.

We really want to get Fig out of her "room" and fully integrated into family life for afternoons and evenings. We've considered a cage. We've considered a perch. But really, the only sensible way to integrate a Crow into a human family is to give that Crow freedom, and independence first. A perch of her own, or a cage would probably allow her to feel safer out in the common areas. But freedom to jump about from person to person is great exercise, and social interaction. Giving a naturally phobic bird like a Crow an "out" so to speak, a safe spot, will likely keep her socially, and physically inactive, forever. So for now, the perch, and the cage are off the table. Fig is going to have to succeed at feeling comfortable on/with people in the common areas first. We are going to "be" the perches. Once she passes this hurdle, she'll get her own cage to retreat to ask she likes.

Communicating with a Crow is not unlike communicating with children. You have to have routines. You have to repeat yourself, without nagging. You have to have clear expectations. And most of all, you must not forget to praise, praise, praise...this is a most powerful tool. And rewards are good too, but nothing trumps praise.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment