Sunday, July 5, 2015

How Cautious is a Crow?

I put a vertical bar in Fig’s enclosed space where she gets a lot of her daily exercise. When she goes on excursions around town, from time to time, she will leap onto ladders, and railings, and other totally upright bars, just for a bit of climbing or sliding fun, and to show off her amazing foot strength. And, in order to encourage her to actually start jumping on to the vertical bar I installed on the wall in her space, I placed a huge slab of delicious dried crab meat at the top. In order to get the crab meat, which she loves, she will have to leap to the vertical bar, and perch on it. It’s easy for her. The bar is only mounted slightly above her regular perch height, and it only extends 60cm up, so maybe the top is about 20-30 centimeters above Fig’s head. And the perch is only 30 centimeters from her perch, so she only needs to jump a very short way from the horizontal perch to the vertical wall perch. That crab meat has been there for two weeks now. I even tried reducing her daily dish quantity to let her work up a bit of an appetite. No deal. This is how nervous, suspicious, cautious, skeptical, inquisitive…paranoid Crows are. Very, very. It is just a simple wooden perch, which looks exactly like a towel bar, only vertical, and she will not venture onto it, not even for a big slab of crab. I am going to have to have a go at asking her to leap onto it I think. She actually may never touch the thing for years. I even started her out with an inclined perch to transition her, still, she sees the potential for danger, or injury, or maybe she tried it once when I wasn't there and detected a tiny, fearsome bit of a wobble, so leapt right off again. The thing is darn solid folks. Crows simply will not take any risks. It’s amazing, huh? Two weeks that savory crab meat, just sitting there within easy reach. It stone cold flabbergasts me every day when I come home to find it still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment