Monday, May 18, 2015

Notes on Mealworms

I am planning to have Fig do a scientific study, but first, I need to get a mealworm colony going, because I need a lot of mealworms to serve as food rewards. The store bought worms have been fed a hormone laced diet to prevent them from pupating into beetles.

I have been feeding my worms various foods to try and induce them out of the hormone treatment, to no avail. A few have managed to pupate, but no beetles emerged. Finally, by luck, I have discovered that mealworms can in-fact be induced out of their hormone stagnation if fed a high sugar diet, and kept warm.

I now have three beetles, and one has laid a ton of eggs. The beetles are very slow, docile critters, quite friendly things with a pleasing shape, color, and texture too. It makes me feel horrible to farm them for food rewards. But Fig absolutely loves them.

Thank goodness I was able to figure this out because they cost $2.00 for a tiny tub. Having a colony will save me a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment