Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happiness

You've never seen a happier animal than a Crow that's just got a new perch cover and toys.

I redecorated her indoor perch, and Fig ran back and forth rubbing herself on it, just thrilled. I've never seen another animal so clearly express utter joy. She loved the new fabric, the new color scheme, but most of all, having new toys, and new ropes to tug, hold, and play with. It just sent her into fits of ecstasy. I gave her two bits of her favorite plastic jumprope cord, one at each end of her perch, and she ran back and forth rubbing on them, cawing, two two???!!! and holding them, all the while telling me, I love you, I love you in English. It has been hard to put her to be bacause she seems so thrilled with the set up she just wants to be on that favorite perch. I changed out the terry covering for felt at my wife's request, and Fig seems to really like the felt. It remains to be seen how felt treats her feet though, and if she doesn't start to destroy it, which will surely be fun. Gotta watch.

I also changed an outdoor perch cover. It is ultra soft, plush and bouncy now, and Fig was trampolining off that perch like an Olympic gymnast could only dream of doing, for two hours before she finally took a break. She gets herself worked up to a staggering level of activity, panting, and panting...but still zooming about at fever pitch. She's one fit bird. She'll exercise for two or three hours non-stop some mornings before eating anything, or even drinking any water.

Mind you, while things were being changed, there was hell to pay. What a fuss. What paranoia. What fear over the unknown. I let her sit on my shoulder while I worked and she pooped on me, twice, she was so overcome with anxiety...but once she realized that the fruits of my labor were so sweet, and all hers to harvest, man, she was just on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment