Monday, March 9, 2015

Like Father Like Son

My son, who is now eight years old, gradually takes more interest in Fig. He loves having his evening shower with her, talking to her, tossing her food, watching her vigorously shaking out her feathers noisily before a preen. But lately he asks to come out at exercise time because he wants her to perch on his arm. He has managed to pick her up with his forearm from mine, or from the ground, but he is too scared of Figgy's nibbles to offer her his soft, tender little hand, which still has the quality of a chubby marshmallow. So I suspect it will be another year or two yet before I manage to turn him into a calm, assertive bird whisperer. It is fun teaching him consistency, and expressive meaningful, easily understood gestures and eye contact with Fig. Speaking of Fig, she has a natural affinity for children, and no fear of them whatever, as long as she is outside. She has my son's number though. If he does something unsatisfactorily, she very confidently balks. Anyway, I am thrilled he wants to have a go at handling. I think perhaps I will teach him to play on Fig's balcony first, then get a couple of chairs or small tables for outside. Fig loves jumping perch to perch on her balcony using a human as her stepping stone. I have yet to try this play outside however as I need to manage the tether safely, but now that my son has volunteered, I think the two of them could have endless fun, Fig jumping between tables with my son providing various bridges for her. Exercise, and play are vital to bonding. I could never give my son or Figgy enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment