Monday, February 16, 2015

My Perspective

I live in Kyushu, Japan, presently.
Of 619 species of birds in Japan, 398 species of birds live in Kyushu at least part of the year.

I have cared for one injured Jungle Crow for two years. I see and interact with her everyday.
And I have only scratched the surface; I am just beginning to understand this one individual, from 398 species, a tiny, little bit. I have managed to maybe, maybe, begin to understand a dozen things she says.

If we assume that 398 species each has a dozen things to say, an estimate which must be a sure thing for a serious underestimate award, then that makes 4,776 calls going on around us 24/7 which most of us ornithologist wannabes know nest to nothing about. (Did you catch that?) And that is just the modest island of Kyushu, on our great big world!

If we assume it takes an average Joe 2 years to become "conversational" in any single, foreign bird's basic lingo (utilizing only freetime) then to come to know all 398 birds equally well, would take 796 years! I will be lucky if I can live to a hundred.

The reason I am writing this, is because I want anyone reading this blog to understand, that while what I am doing, caring for an injured wild bird, is illegal, I do appreciate the incredible opportunity that has literally fallen out of the sky before me, and I am trying not to squander it.

The chance to know a wild animal, for a modern domestic human (my wife may argue my choice of words) is invaluable, extremely special in any case. I know that.  I am humbled by that.  I am grateful for this chance, however long it lasts.

For me, Fig is a member of our family. And knowing her, the little that I can, is like reading a few sentences from God's glorious book of nature. What you can learn from nature, is precious, I would say priceless.

Having this perspective, changes you. You don't care about a car, a house, or TV dramas, well maybe you care a little about TV dramas. But you start to care more deeply about nature. And you rediscover your place in it, with it. You can no longer see yourself removed from it.

Here in Japan, I watch Crows wandering about on the forest floor, picking through the leaves and twigs. This is something I never did in my hometown because until very recently, Crows were simply not present there. I marvel at how Crows scratch out a basic life from what nature supplies. It makes me a little jealous of their connection with nature. I pity them, the cold winters, and the elements. I envy them, their warm set of efficient feathers. I would die in a week, naked in the forest.

Anyway, that is my outlook. I would rather chat to a Crow, than have a Lexus, any day of the week. There is little satisfaction to be had from our polyester world, because it is so disconnected. I do not think that has to be so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment