Monday, February 2, 2015

Crows Brushing Their Teeth

I get some interesting questions from people who take an interest in Fig when we are out and about. Recently, someone asked me if Crows have teeth???

It is a great question, though modern birds do not really have teeth; they may have a spiky tongue, or a serrated beak edge, though.  I have not really checked carefully enough to observe either of these things along or inside Fig's beak, or on her tongue but certainly when Fig "bites" / expresses her mood with her beak, there is not any feeling or marking which would indicate serrations; the side edges of her beak are pretty razor sharp, and smooth, but she would only manage to slice/cut a person's skin if she clamps, twists and yanks with pretty serious intent. Her nervousness continues to decline over time, so she stopped biting hard way too long ago for me to remember what any serious bite really feels like at this point in time, though I did get a couple of slices on the fingers back in the early days, sunce I got her as a passage bird, not a nestling, which means she was fully raised by birds, she imprinted on birds, and has been naturally fearful of humans from day one.

I will have a close look inside her beak while I wash her face, and see if I can find any bird teeth. She usually goes to sleep on my knee in the shower, and I can just open her beak and take a peek. I'll update this post below, later. 

One interesting thing I can tell you, however, is that Fig certainly does "brush" her teeth. Usually, after a bath, she will stick her beak deeply into water, and vigorously rinse the inside of her beak several times, perhaps also rinsing out her "shopping bag" under her lower beak, as there is usually a little food in the water after she does this. 

I found this hilariousness (link below), which is also very informative on the extremely interesting topic of bird teeth. It is worth a read for the laughs, the pictures, and the learns. Enjoy!

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2010/09/28/brush-your-beak-10-amazing-birds-with-teeth/

No comments:

Post a Comment