Friday, November 7, 2014

The Mirror

It has taken a year and a half, but Fig seems finally to have figured out that she is looking at herself in the mirror. I read about a study on Pigeons which were trained to peck a dot sticker placed on their person, in order to get a food reward. When stickers were then placed where the birds could only possibly see them in their reflection, they were able to use the mirror to reach around, peck the sticker and be rewarded as usual.

I accidentally discovered that Fig could understand who I was in the mirror shortly after having read about this ingenious experiment, when a piece of grated cheese was stuck between my knuckles, unbeknownst to me, or to Fig, who was sitting on my hand, thumb turned up in front of the mirror engaged in Narcissistic conversation. When I turned my hand slightly, I could see the cheese in the mirror, and so could Fig, who quickly turned to hunt for it on my actual hand, where she quickly found, and ate it.

I never would have, could have come up with such a clever method to test perception. Pure genius.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment