Sunday, October 12, 2014

If Thens

If Thens:

- If Fig did not get enough breakfast, or did not get what she wanted, she'll yell her word for food. She is not a picky eater though.
Hwah Hwah Hwah

- If I sit in the shower as usual with Fig on my knee, and try to do the usual morning facewash routine without any warm water, Fig will object after a few seconds, jump up to her perch and yell her word for water and shower.  She is site specific. She knows that "dry" face touching is the affection activity she gets outside on the balcony. I have to try giving her a face wash out on the balcony and see if she'll raise objections. I suspect not as a face wash is her number one favorite thing in the world.
Awa Awa Awa

- If I ask Fig to do something risky or pointless, like go down to the floor, she will do it, but then having noted that it was pointless, she will grumble, growl or yell at me. You dolt!
Ha Ha Ha (So naturally, I avoid pointless requests.) Update: looking back, I understand this admonishment better now: The cat is on the floor, dummy! Don't ask me to go there!

- If I am always sweet, Fig finds that very dull. Like a cat or a dog or a child she wants a good playful sparring match from time to time.
Tigery growls, snapping, jabbing, posturing, tearing at toys...it's all play.

- If I am late home it can take some time to help Fig calm down. She is more relaxed and understanding as time passes, but she is no cat or dog. She runs on a clock. At bedtime she becomes grouchy, and says she wants to sleep very clearly by rejecting play or affection very grumpily.

- If anyone other than me asks Fig to perch on their hand at home, she denies all, but out at the park, anyone goes.

- If I offer Fig water, and she's not thirsty, she gives my water bowl hand two rapid, very soft peck/bites to say No thanks. That's enough thanks.

- If you walk around with a Crow in Japan, some people are scared, some people scowl disapprovingly, but the majority by far take a friendly, supportive interest, and jump at a chance to see one up close and ask questions. Little kids are eager to pet Fig which they can do with a little instruction, parental approval, and a quick hand wash, and older folk relate experiences and knowledge. This one old man, walking with his wife, said to me, "Crows love mayonnaise, right!?" When, I said that was absolutely true, it was like he had finally won some decades old argument with his wife. She was happy when I submitted that mayo may not, however, be very healthy for a bird.

- If I give Fig a tangerine, she can peel it herself, but she is used to me either peeling or cutting them up in a variety of ways, for her eating entertainment, so a whole tangerine may go ignored for days. Cutting them in half either direction, or partially peeling, or fully peeling whole, sliced both directions, chopping, all make for a pecking challenge. Chopped is my favorite because Fig eats the whole fruit, and coughs up the segment skins in a pellet. Her favorite is half peeled so she can eat the fruit, then playfully peel the remaining segment skins from the half rind, leaving a neat, empty bowl of rind.

No comments:

Post a Comment