Thursday, April 17, 2014

International Bird-House of Pancakes

* Please note that I am NOT an expert, or even a trained amateur on the subject of how to properly feed and care for corvids. NOT!  If you know better PLEASE inform me. I have simply posted this informatioin here because it is what I am doing, and it is a learning process happening in less than ideal times. The Crow I am caring for likes these pancakes. She eats 3-4 per day, representing 6-8 tablespoons of food.  I cook only 4-5 days of food at a time to keep it fresh. Half in the freezer. Half in the fridge.

Other Foods: This diet is supplemented with fruits and berries, nuts, meats, fish, vegetables, pastas from wheat, buckwheat, other grains or beans, and tofu, and a very little bit of cheese, and chopped date or other dried fruit as a treat, and eggs shells aplenty, and gravel and sand grit for digestive purposes. To my credit though, Fig likes my cooking quite a lot.

Wild Foods: Also an assortment of wild foods, available seasonally, are collected for Fig and that list of items continues to grow.

Bad for Birds: Salt and sugar are not added, nor are spices.

Toxic Foods: As far as I know chocolate, onion, and garlic are off cat, dog, bird menues for toxicity reasons, so they are not represented here.

Milk: As far as milk is concerned, if Fig drinks raw milk, she will produce an all white pellet of the consistency of sour cream, or soft cream cheese, and her BM will contain a lot of calcium. I do not know if milk is bad for her, raw or uncooked, but I do not give her raw, uncooked milk, just to be safe. She seems to have no digestive issues with cooked milk, and a tiny bit of cheese from time to time, by which I mean a teaspoon once a week, or less often probably; she likes cheese but there is simply way too much salt in it. I figure the milk in the pancakes keeps her calcium, Vit D, and minerals up, and her digestion seems very healthy and normalized on cooked milk included here, below.

Changing the Recipe:
The recipe below is easily changed by using brown rice, or genmai (whole germ rice), instead of white, whole grain flour, or whole wheat flour, red garnet instead of satsuma sweet potatoes corn flour instead of flakes, chopped buckwheat or other pasta, and cooked lentils instead of tofu, use other grains like quinoa.  I use a variety of cooking oils, but use them very very sparingly, olive, corn, or canola are okay, again, I use them very sparingly just wiping the pan with an oily papertowel.

My Goals:
1. True Variety: I try and give Fig a variety of grains which include corn, wheat, rice, and whole protein beans. This way she is getting, or her body can manufacture complete protein. Mixing grains varieties is important to enable complete proteins to be made. Also, a variety of food sources ensures varied nutritional input. If one food is nutritionally weak, you avoid starving the bird of whatever that food lacks.

2. Flavor: To achieve a good flavor. Sweet potatoes are the only source of real sweetness or flavor in the pancakes, and Fig hates cooked carrot. She likes carrots raw though, probably because they are fun to peck and chew. If I don't think it is tasty myself, I won't give it to her.

3. Easy to Digest: To fully cook the 2 tablespoon pancakes well, but to end up with a high moisture food source. Fig can and will eat a tougher pancake, but I aim to give her something soft, and easy to digest since she cannot forage for a wide variety of natural digestive grit like wild Crows do. The pancakes are very moist, but I still usually soak them in water for a minute or too to additionally soften, and hydrate them to last in Fig's food bowl and remain soft for the time I am at work.

4. I aim to feed her one chicken egg per 2-4 days. Not sure how I came up with this figure; it is what it is.

5. I measure the amount of food she gets, eats and leaves. This is fairly consistent and precise. I use food cups to ensure Fig gets the same amount of food each day.

6. To weigh Fig regularly, to check her weight is consistent.

Recipe One:
2 Eggs
1 cup whole milk
4 Tblspns flour
2 Tblspns white rice cooked
2 Tblspns raw Oatmeal
2 Tblspns plain cornflakes (rinse well if sugared)
4 Tblspns Hard Tofu
3 Tblsphs cooked sweet potato
(You can add ground beef or other meats too)


Oh dear, the flapjacks have flipped.


16 to a jar = 4 day supply



Right Photo: 5 days worth of flappyjackdaws.
Left Photo: Before whisking well. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment