Monday, November 25, 2013

Thank You Cornell Lab of Ornithology for Identifying Fig

With the professional assistance of the kind folks at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Fig has now been more positively identified as a Japanese Jungle Crow. It was a difficult identification because the Jungle Crow looks very similar to the common Raven. There are only a couple of physically distinguishing characteristics. In fact their look, their behavior, their language, everything appears to me to be somewhere between the Crow and the Raven so one has to rely on all the information to make a determination. I will continue to write more about this in greater detail.

Currently, Forest Crows, and Jungle Crows are in plentiful supply to study, but Ravens may prove harder to locate, but I will try, as I think it is very interesting that the lowly, quiet Forest Crows are made to share a bad reputation surely belonging wholly to the Jungle Crow, and the Raven is called Common when indeed that word too ought to belong to the Jungle Crow.

In addition, I think Fig is a she, but this too is not fully certain, and will be easier to determine as time goes on.  Her face, her bone structure, and her disposition say Female to me, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, my apologies for anyone trying to follow this blog which has now changed its name three times.

Please search for Cornell Lab of Ornithology on Facebook, as the information they have about birds is entertaining, thorough, detailed, and very well presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment